Unlike the auctioning system, vending is completely free and doesn't force the player to pay a fee to use. In addition, vending players can set up shop almost anywhere, much more convenient to access than auction halls, which are limited to towns and cities. However, the biggest downside to vending is that it requires players to be online to function, which can use up time that could be used to actually play the game.
Ragnarok OnlineMerchant classes and cannot be utilized by any other job class. (On the flip side, non-Merchant job classes can use Purchase Shops to buy what they need.)
In order to vend an item, a Merchant class player must use the Vending skill to open up the vending window. Only items placed in the Merchant player's Pushcart (separate from player's Inventory) can be vended. The original maximum vending price was 99,990,000 Zeny, which has since been increased to 1,000,000,000 Zeny.
When vending, Merchant class players can put up a stack of items for sale and the price listed is the individual item price for that stack of items. For instance, when a buyer opens up the vend window and selects a stack, the buyer can choose how much of that stack they wish to purchase and the window will calculate the total by multiplying the set price by the amount bought.
For players wanting an easier way to browse player vends, Window Shopper Catalogues are available from catalog vendors for 200 Zeny each. Each catalog searches for an item on all vends active on the current map that the user is in.
Ragnarok Online II
Unlike RO, the Vending System in RO2 can be utilized by any character in the game regardless of job class. The default hotkey to open the vend window is Y.
WARNING: Whereas vending a stack of items in RO will allow buying players to choose the amount they wish to buy, vending a stack of items in RO2 means you are selling that entire stack whole for the price as listed. This can be very disorienting for RO players that are used to selling items in stacks rather than individually.
In addition to selling items, players in RO2 can also sell their crafting abilities among other services. When clicking on the Crafting tab, for instance, players can add whatever crafting recipes they've already learned and buyers would be able to obtain crafted items from the player. (NOTE: When selling crafting items, the player must already have the materials required on hand to create the final product. When the player's supplies run out, buyers would not be able to buy the crafted item anymore.)
- Patch (2017 Jun. 07)
- The part-time stall merchant system update is implemented.
- Quest for hiring part-time stall merchant is added.
- The existing catalog is transferred to the Alberta merchant guild; new item "Special Silver Catalog" is introduced.
- Patch (2017 Jan. 11)
- Comma and unit color are added to the input amount on the trade window.
- Patch (2014 Sept. 24)
- Small Improvements to the Vending System skill, such as better use of commas in the dialogs, color-coding by price while setting up the shop, and the ability to suppress the sound made when selling an item.
- Clean Play Campaign (2014 Feb. 19)
- Integrated market tracker into official website and added a screenshot option for trade window.
- Patch (2013 May 22)
- Player Vending System change: Items can now be priced up to 1,000,000,000 Zeny on vend, up from 99,990,000.
- Patch (2012 Jul. 04)
- Changed Vending System to show the sum of the cost for the items purchased through player vend in the chat window.
- Patch (2012 Mar. 28)
- Adjusted vend creation window to allow players to view item information by right-clicking on the item.
- Vend Search Update (2010 Aug. 20)
- Implemented Window Shopper Catalogue, Bargain Hunter Catalogue, Black Market Catalogue, and Purchase Shop system.
- Patch (2005 Nov. 01)
- The /shopping command is added. When shopping for a store, you can open it with a single click, or you can right-click on a store name to close it.
- Patch (2005 Jan. 11)
- The base price of the stalls has been revised from 1000000 to 0000.
- Patch (2004 Mar. 30)
- You can no longer buy more than 30,000 of a single item in a store.
Ragnarok Online II
- iRO2 Patch (2017 Jul. 28)
- Fixed issue with shops being able to open too closely. All shops will now require a minimum distance of 2 meters.
- iRO2 Patch (2016 Sept. 12)
- Made it so that if you are trading zeny and the trade plus the zeny you have goes over 10 million it will cancel the trade.
- iRO2 Patch (2016 Aug. 15)
- Updated Personal Shop UI. Exchanged locations of displayed zeny to match the labels.
- iRO2 Patch (2014)
- Added honing tab to vend window.
- iRO2 Patch (2013)
- Added refining tab to vend window.