In order to play any MMORPG, players must first create a character which will serve as their avatar for the duration of their time playing. Each MMORPG offers various hairstyles and hair color in addition to face types for player customization. Some MMORPGs would even go farther as to offer different skin tones and body types.
When logging into a MMORPG, players will first encounter the character selection screen. Players in Ragnarok Online can create up to a maximum of 9 characters per account while players in Ragnarok Online II can create up to 10 characters per account.
In RO players must select a character slot to create a character in while in RO2 players simply need to press the [Create Character] button to begin the process. Characters in both games are typically ordered from oldest to newest characters.
Creating a Character
In RO, players can customize the name, hairstyle, hair color and starting stats for their characters. Allowing players to customize a character's stats during character creation led to many players creating characters that ended up having stats that are unsuited for the job class they eventually choose for that character. With the Royal Criatura Academy update to Izlude, stat customization was removed from the character creation window so players only need to focus on picking a name, a hairstyle, and hair color for their character. Stat customization would be done while playing in order to better build a character up for a particular job class. Players are unable to pick the gender of their characters as character gender was restricted to the gender selected for the RO account itself. Players wanting to create characters of both genders would have to create separate RO accounts (male and female accounts).
In 2015, more than 13 years after the game's initial launch, GRAVITY began development on a new playable race for players to choose from. This required an overhaul of the character creation window to allow players to create a character of a different race. The overhaul will also allow players to finally pick the gender of their characters, making it so characters of both genders can be created on the same account.
In RO2, the character creation screen mimicked that of most modern MMORPGs in that players could customize the name, gender, hairstyle, hair color, face type, eye style, and eye color of their character. Unlike RO, players in RO2 select the job class of their character from the character creation screen. The background of the character creation screen would change depending on the job class selected.
Deleting a Character
Every player in RO and RO2 has the option to delete characters to free up character slots for newer (and maybe better) characters. For both games, players simply need to select the character they wish to delete from the character selection screen and press the [Delete] button.
Both RO and RO2 have safeguards in place to prevent unauthorized deletions by hackers. In RO, players must enter their email in full to delete a character. After the email is entered, a timer will begin in order to give players a chance to rethink their decision to delete the character. In RO2, players must enter their pin number to continue the deletion process. After the pin number is confirmed, the character is instantly deleted.
- Patch (2018 May 16)
- If the character name is more than 21 characters, the character name will now display fully in the character selection window.
- Patch (2018 Feb. 07)
- Character selection window and cash shop UI will be changed.
- Patch (2017 Jul. 26)
- Some changes are made to the character deletion reservation system. Some characters do not process the deletion; the system has been changed internally so that reserving on top of an existing reservation causes it to be canceled.
- Patch (2015 Dec. 07)
- Increased maximum characters slots to 12.
- Patch (2015 Oct. 28)
- Gender can now be specified when creating a character; no more gender-locked accounts.
- Patch (2013 Dec. 09)
- The position of your character code (CCODE) will be moved next to the character name in the basic information window.
- Patch (2013 Dec. 02)
- The character code (CCODE) system is added. The system provides a unique character string for each character that makes it possible to prevent fraud.
- Patch (2007 Jul. 04)
- When you delete characters, you will now be asked to enter your password.
- Patch (2004 Dec. 28)
- Increased maximum characters slots from 5 to 6.
Ragnarok Online II
- iRO2 Patch (2016 Aug. 15)
- Fixed extra page scrolling when entering Character Select.