The Homunculus is a special Ragnarok Online-exclusive pet which assists Alchemist classes in ways such as a support, an instant party member, or a sacrifice for the player. Alchemist classes must go through the Bioethics Quest to unlock the appropriate skills required to create a Homunculus. After the quest, the skill Bioethics will be available to the player and the rest of the Homunculus skill branch will be available through the distribution of skill points.
There are 2 tiers of homunculi that Alchemist players have access to:
- Basic Class - Basic Class homunculi can only be created and raised by the Alchemist and Creator job classes. The max level of a basic class homunculus is 99.
- S Class - S Class homunculi can only be raised by the Geneticist job class and are acquired by mutating Basic Class homunculi. As they are an evolution of the Basic Class homunculi, S Class homunculi can reach the current max level available in RO.
Creating a Homunculus
To obtain a Homunculus, an Embryo is required. These can be purchased from other Alchemists or can be self-made. In order to make an Embryo, an Alchemist must use the skill Pharmacy with the following materials purchasable from the Aldebaran Material Seller in the Alchemist Guild (alde_alche 35, 179):
Once an Embryo is obtained, use the skill Call Homunculus to summon the Homunculus. There is a chance to get 1 of the 4 homunculus and another chance to get 1 of the 2 sprites available to each type of homunculus. Although not completely proven, there is a popular belief that the creator of the Embryo's stats play in a role in the probability of summoning each Homunculus.
Raising a Homunculus
To raise a homunculus of your own, you must continuously feed it and level it. Each homunculus will only accept one unique food item. When leveling, homunculus cannot share EXP with its owner so it must be leveled separately from the owner.
NOTE: Homunculi EXP requirements were not changed with the Renewal update and hence follows the old exponential EXP requirements of pre-Renewal RO.
In addition to in-game commands and the Homunculus UI, Alchemist players can also install an AI to allow their homunculi to function a certain way without player involvement. Many experienced Alchemist players have created their own custom AIs to use in RO and share with others, but none is more used than that of Dr. Azzy of the iRO community. His most current AI files can be downloaded from his official site.
After installing an AI, type in the following command into the in-game Chat Box to activate the AI:
- Patch (2016 Oct. 05)
- Homunculus System now allows renames.
- Patch (2012 Jan. 18)
- Added Hunger gauge for Homunculus and Cute Pet.
- Homunculus Expansion (2011 Aug. 31)
- S Class Homunculus are added.
- Homunculus Update (2005 Jun. 28)
- Implemented Homunculus System.